Tuesday, June 16, 2009

We turn up as unexpected visitors


To view the rest of the photo album click here:

Facebook Your Photos - We turn up as unexpected visitors

Yesterday we went in search of a silk worm farm. Because our driver couldn't figure out what we were talking about we ended up at a Jaquard weaving factory. The factory managers were nice enough to give us a great tour of their factory! There are many small weaving shops in Bangalore. You can hear the looms clacking away when you walk down some of the streets.

The link above gives a great explaination and many photos of the jaquard weaving process. Weavers - I appoligize if I have mixed up any of the details! Feel free to correct me!

The jaquard factory managers explained to our driver that we wanted to visit the silk worm farm. We plan to go to the country and visit one soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle, thank you for posting on your trip to India, it's fascinating! In the early 80's I visited Sri Lanka and was amazed at the beautiful textiles, I brought back a lot of things with me espcially some gorgeous batik sarongs. I also have some cotton blankets handwoven by a blind man. Thanks for sharing your trip! Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eva,
    Thanks for posting. It is too bad that there is so much trouble in Sri Lanka. It would probably be a beautiful place to visit. I bought some neat wooden stamps made for putting henna on he hands outside of temple. I am planning to use them for batik.

    ReplyDelete